The Disc Golf Streak, Day 2343 (Cowan Lake State Park)

Day 2343

Rainy, chilly, overcast, muddy . . . perfect day for some disc golf!  Had a good chunk of time today so we decided to get out to play the new course at Cowan Lake State Park.  Pretty far out for us (Wilmington area) but not much farther than Gulley.

Not too surprising, we had the entire course to ourselves for the entire afternoon.  Not another soul in sight.

The course was really good.  It reminded me a lot of Stonelick and Johnson Hills.  A little shorter than Stonelick -- similar scenery and feel but with fewer open holes.  Lots and lots of trees, lots of narrow gaps.  Teepads were nice and large, baskets were new Mach X's, hole design was challenging (hard gaps to hit on many holes).  Distance wasn't super long but sometimes deceptive (i.e. uphill or very wooded).  It's listed as 5500' but I felt like it played more like 6500'/  There were several Par 4s and a Par 5 and they were all legitimate pars (very hard even to get pars on those).

I was glad we threw it in winter because it was easy to see lines and spot discs.  In spring and summer I think this course will be a bear for a while until it gets beat in (just like every other new course).

A few pics:

Hole 3.  One of my favorite holes, I liked it because it had a crazy tight double alley.  It even got Mr. Backhand to throw a forehand.



Hole 1:


 

Seagulls?  I dunno, they sure looked like a giant flock of seagulls along the lake beach.


 Scorecard:

I thought early on he was going to take me down (I think he hits lines in the woods better than me these days) but we both threw well enough.  Like I said, tough course, I was pretty satisfied with +1 my first time through.  Lot of controlled golf shots required and hard to avoid all trouble.


Course was designed by Pete Caldwell and Matt Blakely and lots of the labor was done by Jay Schroeder (who installed the Quaker Knoll course out that way).  They all did a great job, this is a great new course we both look forward to throwing it again.  Would have thrown a second round if it wasn't so cold/wet/muddy.

Comments