The Disc Golf Streak, Day 2000 (Gulley dubs, rounds at Turkey Ridge)

Day 2000

So Day 2000 finally arrived.  We decided to throw Gulley dubs in the morning . . . chilly morning but overall the weather ended up perfect for mid-February . . . high for the day was upper 50s and it was sunny so it couldn't have been any nicer.

He prefers to random draw his own partner and once again he drew Rob Miller which was good news because he's a great guy and fun to throw with.  I drew a guy I hadn't played with before (Jake) and played on a card with Jim Ferrera and Cory Reidmiller and we all had a good time.  I was also glad to see our good friend Tony Vincent come out to throw dubs too.

Neither Danny nor I cashed . . . was a bit tough throwing and putting in the wind today.  Threw just fine but wasn't our day to cash.

Headed home and threw two rounds at Turkey Ridge with some close friends.  Had some pizza, hung out for a while and had a real good time.

I suppose I should have something deep to say about throwing 2,000 days in a row.  (And yes, we really have thrown some every single day since 8/31/16.)  But I don't have much to say about it because it's just a thing we're doing that lets us spend a lot of time together.  Really we could spend the time doing something else (hiking? bicycling? juggling?) and it would be good too.  We've made some really good friends disc golfing and had some really fun times and I'm sure we'll have plenty more.  But at the end of the day, the streak has never really been about disc golf. 

So I'll conclude the Day 2000 diary entry with this paraphrasing of Robert Traver's Testament of A Fisherman:

I disc because I love to;

Because I love the environs where disc golf courses are found, which are invariably beautiful, and hate the environs where crowds of people are found, which are invariably ugly;

Because of all the television commercials, cocktail parties, and assorted social posturing I thus escape;

Because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my discing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion;

Because birdies do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience;

Because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I for one don’t want to waste the trip; because mercifully there are no telephones on disc golf courses;

Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness;

Because hot chocolate out of a thermos on a cold day always tastes better out there;

Because maybe one day I will hit a roller ace;

And, finally, not because I regard discing as being so terribly important but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant — and not nearly so much fun.

Comments