The Disc Golf Streak, Day 819 (Nati Putting League)

Day 819.

Went to Urban Artifact for the Tuesday night putting league put on by The Nati.

This was a good time.  About 25 people showed up.  We started with a putting knockout game where you had to make a long putt (45'?) and if you made it you went to the back of the line and if you missed you had to retrieve your disc and make a short putt (15'?) before the next person made the long one.  Danny ended up finishing second in the whole group and won $5.

After that we did two rounds of ladder putting (two putts at 10'x1pt 15'x3pt 20'x5pt 25'x7pt 30'x10pt and one last one at35'x15pt, max points 67) and he got 50 + 43 and beat me (I got 45 + 45 and I was putting well).  I think he ended up fourth overall.

Other than that, just a lot of putting practice on a cold night (in the 20's) in the upstairs space of a local brewery (there were at least two D.Runk's there, ha ha).

My favorite moment of the night was during the knockout game when I was in line behind him and he missed his putt and I started to move up to putt . . . and realized what I was doing and just stopped for a couple seconds to give him a chance to make his short putt and get back in line.  Later he thanked me for not knocking him out and I gave him a fist bump and said "Of course, we have to look out for each other, pal."  We've always understood we're on the same team, but it was nice moment . . . kind of like when we were at the Idlewild Open and after volunteer spotting as a team we were following the chase card (Day 2, Round 2) walking down 16's long fairway together in the rain under an umbrella holding hands accompanied by many of our disc golf friends while watching disc golf pros . . . and I felt an unmatched warmth and happiness at that moment -- in no small part because it nostalgically reminded me of going to the Western & Southern Open (back then ATP) tennis tournament as a kid.  I didn't write that memory up back in July so I'm glad to get it down now because it was one of the happiest moments in my life.  I can still close my eyes and feel myself standing in that fairway with him . . .


Comments