The Disc Golf Streak, Day 761 (Clermont County Cup & "For me, it's time with my friends")

Day 761.

Today we threw in the Clermont County Cup (Osage v. Williamsburg) at Gulley DGC.

Different from previous months where we had different formats and pre-determined matches, today all teams did best throw and teams were determined by random draw.  We had five mens teams, four co-ed teams and one juniors team.

I was teamed up with James Nichols (good!) and our random opponents were Russ Foster and Daryl Whittaker (good . . . but not so good for our chances of victory).   Danny & Kyle played together against Rodney & Hailey.

James & I played well, pulled out to an early lead and put up a valiant effort, but eventually the talent of Russ & Daryl was too much and they ended up beating us 11-under to 9-under.  James & I were happy with how we threw, we were just beaten by better players.  I really enjoy throwing with Russ and Daryl, they are relaxed and have fun and engage in a little occasional fun trash talking . . . they are ideal opponents since I'd rather be challenged by someone better than get a win over weaker opponents.

Danny & Kyle . . . well they started off with the teebox and never gave it up all day on their way to throwing a +5 with a 19 throw margin of victory.  Kyle's driving and Danny's putting put one in the win column for Osage.  (Nice photobomb below by my partner James)



Most importantly, when the team results were in -- Osage beat Burg 5.5 to 4.5 to reclaim the Cup!

It was such a beautiful day that we stuck around and threw a second round for fun with Phil, Tim & Justin.  A great day of disc golf throwing with lots of friends! 😎  I wish I could bottle up days like this . . .

*** Addendum for Day 761

Some disc golf humor this morning for the hardcore disc golf watchers out there . . . hopefully someone gets a chuckle out of this.

So yesterday I'm driving home with Danny after playing and of course we're talking disc golf. He tells me that he wants his son to play and then his son's son to play with his son because then the streak could just go on forever. I tell him that sounds good and I'm looking forward to getting some rounds in with my grandson someday.
He tells me that when he grows up he just wants to play the Idlewild Open, he doesn't want to tour around and he just wants disc golf to be his hobby because he wants to have a family and touring isn't good for that.

I'm just listening and kinda nodding and telling him "sure, sure, that sounds good" and then he says in a commercial voice: "For me, it's time with my friends." 😂

I almost drove off the road I was laughing so hard. Any of you who watch a lot of disc golf know that PDGA ad (What is disc golf?) where the actors say what disc golf means to them -- Paul McBeth: "For me, it's my job" and the others say things like "For me, it's a walk in the park" and "For me, it's time with my friends."

The ad for reference:
What Is Disc Golf? Ad

The kid cracks me up sometimes.

Comments