The Disc Golf Streak, Day 754 (Thornageddon 4)

Day 754 of the streak.

Thornageddon 4 @ Osage Grove DGC

Today we played a two round PDGA C-tier event put on by The Nati at our home course (Osage).  We played Thornageddon 3 last year . . . but this year's layout was more difficult because all the baskets were placed in the longs.  Luckily he played in juniors and I played in intermediate so we got to play both rounds from the red (short) tees.

This is one of our favorite events of the year, mostly because it's at our favorite course and it's one of the few times during the year that we indulge in playing a two round event (because they take pretty much all day).

In the first round Danny (only junior) played with Cheryl Terwilleger, Jessica Nichols and a couple rec guys and I played with Bryce Duncan, Beau Lemen, Justin Bush & Adam Chambers.  In the second round I played with Bryce, Joe Godbey, Rob Glover & Shane Hogel.  The weather was beautiful (cooler and cloudy) and it was a relaxing day of throwing frisbees.

Danny shot well. He couldn't match the 68 he threw on Thurs night at Blakely's league (a 777 rated round) but he did throw a 78 & 73 which were rated 724 & 763  (apples to apples about a 12 throw/round improvement over last year).  That's pretty good but I imagine he had trouble getting in a groove because he had to wait so long behind the pro cards that were playing blue tees (it took him 45 minutes longer to finish his rounds than it did for us).  So I was glad to see him smiling both times he got back to the shelter.  His last five rated rounds now are: 773, 746, 777, 724 & 763.  Not bad for a kid currently rated 623. LOL

I shot well too.  I ended up throwing a 57 & 56 (rated 934 & 937) and finished in second place out of 19 intermediate throwers (Bryce ended up winning by a solid four strokes, he's really good, only my solid putting kept it that close).  I really enjoyed my cards, won my division's CTP on Hole 3 by putting it 1" away from the pole and generally threw pretty well on a challenging course (my out of the ordinary occurrences were getting birdies on 1-3 in the first round and 5 & 7 in the second round).

It was a long day, we didn't leave until after 7pm, but once a year I enjoy participating in a long two round event (the rest of the time we try to stick to one rounders).

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Joe Javins (he played with Danny at the Sizzler last week) who finished third in the advanced division and as he was walking out gave Danny a fist bump and handed him his winnings and told him to buy himself some discs.  And so (at least in our house) began the legend of "Awesome Joe" Javins.  As I was sitting there at night checking scores/ratings on the computer Danny asked me "So, how did Awesome Joe do?" "What? Who?" "You know, the guy I played with last week." "Joe Javins?" "Yeah, Awesome Joe. How did he do?"  Thank you, Awesome Joe, that was nice of you. 😊

Was it too much disc golf?  I don't know, but this was Danny the next day in the late afternoon . . .


Peace, Love, Disc Golf . . . and Sleep?

Comments