The Disc Golf Streak, Day 984 (Kenji's Birthday Bash BYOP doubles)

Day 984.

Today was a rare day when I played an event without Danny because it was Kenji's Birthday Bash (BYOP doubles) out at Osage and it was a Pro-Am event with a 940 combined rating cap.  I guess Danny & I are pretty much always attached at the hip because I had a ton of people ask why I wasn't playing with him.  Well, give it another year or two and I will, but for this event I teamed up with my friend James Nichols so we'd have a competitive chance.  He & I are pretty similar in skill level and available shotmaking skills so in a lot of ways it was like playing odd man doubles but only having to take half the shots.

The event was two rounds of 24 holes at Osage playing the normal 18 holes from blue tees to long pins (except 12 & 16 were split) along with four additional temp holes.  There were about 40 teams and the weather was great (other than it was really soggy in the morning from Friday rains).  High was 65 and by the second round it was T-shirt weather.

It was a very long layout -- really the only longer thing that would be more grueling than two rounds on those 24 holes would be playing two rounds at Idlewild.

We started the day playing with Rob Cochran & Joe Avers which was a good pairing for us since we know them well from Tuesday night dubs.  First giveaway of the day was a disc for whoever had the best (CTP) first throw drive for the first hole for each foursome.  We started on Hole 7 and I split the fairway and threaded through the trees and took the group prize.  One throw in, I was already a guaranteed winner.  We threw a 74 for the round (+2) which was probably slightly below average but the hot round was only a 68 so it was certainly respectable.  And James nabbed a CTP on Hole 4 with a fantastic drive to about 10-15' from the pin (and that one held up and got him a Nati gift certificate).

The second round we were paired with Pete & Bradley Caldwell.  I knew them but have never thrown a round with them so I was glad to get the chance to do that.  The Caldwells are a disc golf family through and through so it was good to get a chance to hang out with both of them and watch them play.  (And to constantly look over at Bradley and wonder if Danny is going to be that tall and that good in a few more years.  I sure hope so . . . )  We ended up throwing a 73 (+1) the second round and finishing in the middle of the pack just a couple strokes off cashing.  Realistically we threw pretty well and overall had decent luck, so we were both happy with the performance.

But it sure was tiring . . . as we were winding up the second round Pete said he had recorded 28,000+ steps on the day.  I believe it.

Pictures below.  I think the two of us were the only ones with matching team uniforms. Ha ha

 



It was a great event -- it ran very smoothly and you can tell a lot of effort was put into it by Kenji.  Below is a picture of his tournament fundraiser disc (the one I won for the first throw CTP).  Very cool disc and I'll keep in on my shelf as a reminder of a fun day!




Comments