The Disc Golf Streak, Day 1641 (lost disc recovery story)

Day 1641

In a nutshell we played a round at Osage and found a disc and this is the story I posted to Cincy Disc Golfers Lost & Found.  Saving it here as a fun memory:

Emmett Kresslein
 
No one else needs to read this. lol
 
TLDR: I found your Sexton Firebird.
 
Played Osage today. On Hole B Danny spots a disc across the creek.
 
Hmm, looks like a Sexton Firebird. I'm sure someone's missing that so I figure we should try to retrieve it so someone else doesn't find it and keep it.
 
Okay Emmett, did you know an Qwik Stik extends out to 18' plus my arm about 3' . . . means the creek which your disc was located on the other side of was, oh, about 23' away.
 
Holding onto a honeysuckle bush . . . lean out into the creek and with the full extended pole somehow grab the edge of the disc with the hook and pull it about 3' toward me . . . before it falls off into the rapidly moving stream.
 
Oh crap, so much for rescuing that 'bird . . . oh wait, it's on its back and floating down the creek like a boat. Quick scan down the creek, spot a sandbar about 30' away and rock area about 70' away where I might be able to grab it as it floats.
 
Run down to the sandbar . . . no bueno . . . clearly floating 3-4' beyond my pole's reach . . . quickly collapse the pole and run down to the rock area . . . uncollapse the pole . . . reach out . . . and watch it float 6" outside my reach.
 
Oh well, so long Firebird, I tried to save you but there it is floating down into the deep area where the creeks come together when . . . it snags the last rock.
 
Okay, let's try this again. Extend pole and reach . . . oh wait, it's 3' out of reach. Seriously? Okay, it's still fluttering on that last rock. Find a big rock, throw in 2' in. Step on it, reach . . . oh yeah, it was 3' out of reach, stupid. Okay. Another big rock another 2' out. Step out onto it . . . oh no, it's too round, slip off and now my foot is wet.
 
Okay, not giving up. Get another big flat rock, throw it out there and yes, finally I can reach it. Snag the disc. Don't drop, don't drop, don't drop . . . somehow it stays on the hook, miracle of miracles it remains on the hook the whole 18' back and doesn't drop into the fast moving deep water.
 
Sexton Firebird saved. Don't think I've ever worked so hard to save a disc. lol
Could barely read your name on it, nearly worn off. 
 
Is the disc still yours? If so PM me and I'll get it back to you.
 

 

Comments