The Disc Golf Streak, Day 1517 (Airy Birdie Bash)

Day 1517

Danny decided he wanted to throw the Birdie Bash this weekend so we went to Airy.  30 short birdie-able holes -- you either get an ace or deuce or pick up and move on.  Was pretty chilly, about 45-50 degrees and cloudy.  But once we started moving it wasn't bad.  I've never seen it so crowded, evidently they ended up having 200+ people throw.

We made plans to meet up with our friend Tony (Vincent) and played the round with him.  One of the funnest rounds I've ever played -- they both started hot and I started cold, but when we all birdied together for the first time we did the "Star Frame" celebration of rattling the chains together . . . and from then on we did it each time so we were all quite motivated to pick up the birdies and celebrate together.  No doubt we were pulling for each other a lot because of that.  I think we ended up with 6 or 7 star frames altogether.

Shot of the day went to Danny for his roller on normal hole 7 where it was a long hole for him so he stepped up and quickly threw a backhand roller and somehow it perfectly rolled, flipped up and curled about 30' behind the pin.  The best backhand roller I've seen him throw.  I stepped up and hit my 35' putt, he drilled his 30' putt and Tony made his 20-25' putt for another star frame.  That was a fun one to celebrate.

Overall, Tony threw great and masterfully carved up the course and tied for the Open win with 25 birdies out of 30 holes (tied with someone who had 21 birdies and 2 aces).  I just missed cashing by one stroke in Advanced with 14 which was fine as I merely threw "okay."  But Danny, playing in Intermediate (which was really rec & int combined) cashed with 13 -- a fantastic score for an 11 y/o kid and far exceeding anything he had done previously.  I was proud of him . . . I didn't sign him up for the kid divisions because I wanted to make him throw well if he wanted to cash.  And he responded and did great.

It was fun layout . . . lot more fun for him now since he can reach all of the holes (he couldn't in the past).  Birdie bashes are definitely one of our favorite events . . . only way it could be better is if we could play doubles together (hint, hint, Nati).



Comments